Monday, November 3, 2008

Dancing...

Anna has always loved music. She sings regularly with whatever music is playing and has recently begun to physically express the music through DANCE (at least that's what she calls it). Mind you, this is not the structured sort of dance you might see in ballet or on Grandma's TV (the Lawrence Welk show comes on Saturday nights on PBS). It is an interesting combination of tumbling/gymnastics, calisthenics, ballet, and tap dancing. It may or may not adhere to the rhythmic patterns of the music. Perhaps it is better termed "creative movement." She says she learned it from her friend Lucy at school.

Tonight, while sorting laundry, I played an hour's worth of kids Sunday School music and classical music (including a couple of opera favorites, during which she became even more expressive). Anna danced the ENTIRE time, explaining to me that certain parts of the music were happy or scary. I have to say that was the best time I've ever had sorting laundry.