Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What a Difference a Week Makes

A week ago today, I was having surgery to remove a tennis ball sized mass from my abdomen (and accompanying hysterectomy due to other factors). I quite frankly was frightened about the surgery, and frightened about how my dear daughter would react to it all. What a difference a week makes. I am home from the hospital (only two nights!), the mass was not cancerous, and the doctors were able to remove everything using laparoscopic surgery (several very small incisions rather than one big one) that shortens the healing time by about a month. As a bonus, I will never have appendicitis because my appendix came out too (it was stuck to the mass). Although it still does not feel good to cough or sneeze and I am not yet driving or working, things are so much better than a week ago. I look forward to being able to pick up my sweet Anna again soon and to getting one of her big hugs around the belly. I am grateful for the prayers of family and friends.