Anna and I were asked to serve as lay-ministers for church today (greet the congregation, provide a brief devotional moment, light the advent candles, and lead the songs/worship for the first part of the service). So....we talked about it this week to prepare.
We talked about the logistics (we will be in front of the church, Mommy will talk in the microphone, etc). We talked about the advent wreath, the advent candles, and what the candles mean. We talked about about joy (the advent candle for this Sunday was the "joy" candle) and Anna suggested a couple songs that went with that theme.....
Joy to the World
I've Got the Joy Joy Joy Joy down in My Heart
She also offered to sing.
I said sure (thinking there was no way she would sing by herself in front of a large audience).
She sang in the car all the way to church today, telling me all the songs she was good at singing and that Jesus gave her a good singing voice. As we entered the front door of the church, she reminded me that she was going to sing in the microphone.
At the podium this morning, after I made a few brief remarks, Anna still wanted to sing. Not knowing what song she would choose, I lifted her up to the microphone and she sang (albeit not as loudly as she sang in the car) Jesus Loves the Little Children of the World all the way through.